Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Oatmeal Yogurt Muffins with Cranberries and Pecans

The other day, I was craving muffins. I've added working out regularly to my morning routine, and although I couldn't be happier with that choice, it leaves little time to think about breakfast before I run out the door. 
I know muffins aren't the best option for every day, but I've been living off of egg white scrambles and bananas for a little too long now, and I just wanted a treat. Of course, since it is National Nutrition Month, I searched for a healthier way to do muffins, and found some inspiration here. I changed it around to suit my tastes, and I love the results!
I love these dense muffins, and I hope you will too. This recipe is easy to make substitutions with, especially the nuts and dried fruit. Feel free to try any combination that suits your tastes. 
Oatmeal Yogurt Muffins with Cranberries and Pecans
By Alexandra Rogers


Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
2/3 cup craisins (original)
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1/4 cup skim milk
3/4 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg, beaten


Recipe
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 12-cup muffin tin. 


In a large bowl, mix together rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, pecans and cranberries.


In a small bowl (or cup), mix the yogurt and milk together with a fork until the consistency is smooth and slightly less thick than yogurt. In a medium bowl (I used my mixer for this), combine the yogurt/milk mixture, the melted butter (cooled to room temperature, but not back to solid state), and the vanilla. The mixture will look yellow and possibly slightly curdled. That's okay, that is what you're looking for. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and mix for no more than 10 seconds--just enough to bring the mixture together. It should still be lumpy. If you over mix, the muffins will be tough. 


Use 1/4 cup measure to pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool in the pan for approximately 5 minutes, then cool all the way to room temperature on a drying rack. Makes 12 muffins. 

Nutrition Facts: 1 muffin=1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories 220.1; Total Fat 10.4 g; Saturated Fat 5.2g; Polyunsaturated Fat 1.0g; Monounsaturated Fat 3.4 g; Cholesterol 36.1 mg; Sodium 399.5 mg; Potassium 108.9 mg; Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g; Dietary Fiber 1.8 g; Sugars 18.3 g; Protein 4.0 g.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...