Sunday, January 23, 2011

Praline Lace Cookies

Remember a few weeks ago when I promised you healthy recipes? You know, the sort that would actually help you in whatever diet-based resolutions you had made? Well, I lied. I mean, I gave you two, but then I remembered these cookies. And then I had to share this recipe. 
Like many truly fabulous recipes, finding the origin takes some digging. These cookies are, apparently, an inn keeper's family recipe. At this inn, the cookies are served to all the guests--one of whom was a friend of my mother's friend's friend. That's right, this recipe has traveled a bit. At some point after receiving the recipe, we added toffee bits to it, and those toffee bits give the cookies their praline-like flavor. Pair them with a glass of milk (I used a glass that showed a little love for my favorite borough) and you are set. Makes 3 dozen cookies.
Praline Lace Cookies
Adapted from the Heritage House Bed & Breakfast Cranberry Lace Cookies recipe


Ingredients
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup uncooked old-fashion rolled oats
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg at room temperature, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups coarsely pecan pieces
1/2 cup dried cranberries
4 ounces toffee bits


Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Whisk flour, baking soda and salt together in a small bowl. Then, add in oats and set aside. In a large bowl (a mixer bowl, if you have one), cream butter and both sugars together. Once the mixture is light and fluffy, add the egg and the vanilla. Fold in the flour and oats mixture, then stir in pecans, toffee bits and cranberries. 
Place 1" balls of dough on a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet, with ample room between them. These cookies will spread as they cook! Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. I'm on a major slim-down so I'll have to keep these in the back of my mind (or at least in my bookmarks) until spring. However, that glass is from Fish's Eddy, correct? My favorite store ever ever ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the January slim-down, I just couldn't resist! I gave the cookies to my students...I'm not sure where the glass is from, it was a Christmas gift! Although, now I'm going to look into Fish's Eddy. Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...